The Alliance Colony Foundation was incorporated in 1982 following a successful 100th-anniversary celebration of the establishment of Alliance, New Jersey. Alliance, New Jersey in Salem County was established as a farming community in 1882 by a group of 43 Jewish families escaping persecution and pogroms in Russia.
The Foundation's purpose was to promote, share, and preserve the history, culture, buildings, and artifacts relating to the Alliance Colony and its settlers. Its projects included establishing a museum in the synagogue, applying for grants to preserve and restore original homes and buildings belonging to members of the colony, and conducting a feasibility study and visitor survey to plan a larger living-history project. In 2019, the Alliance Colony Foundation combined efforts with Stockton University to found the Alliance Heritage Center, dedicated to preserving the history and telling the stories of the original settlers and their descendants.
The collection was acquired in 2021 from Jay Greenblatt, the first President of the Alliance Colony Foundation and a descendant of one of the early settlers of Alliance and Brotmanville. The collection contains meeting minutes, foundational documents, financial records, and membership lists, along with studies and grant applications for the preservation activities for the buildings in Alliance, New Jersey. Also included are planning documents for the anniversary events and other programs.
Heather Perez, Special Collections Librarian, August 2021.
While Stockton University’s Bjork Library’s Special Collection and Archives owns the collection; Stockton may not own the copyright for all of the items. Researchers wishing to reproduce materials are responsible for obtaining the proper permissions.