Stockton Special Collections houses a non-circulating book collection of more than 2,300 items. While the collection covers many topical areas, the majority consists of books about New Jersey, particularly the South Jersey area.
Several significant donors have contributed their entire book collections to Stockton’s Special Collections. In 2006, William W. Leap, a noted South Jersey historian, gave the Library all the books, articles and maps he had collected during his lifetime. Likewise, David C. Munn donated his own collection of books by and about New Jersey. The Library is currently adding Mr. Munn’s collection to its Special Collections. Both the Leap and Munn collections may be searched using the Library’s Catalog.
Two 19th century wall maps hang on the 2nd floor of the library, showing portions of South Jersey. The first, dating from 1849, is a “Map of the counties of Salem and Gloucester, New Jersey” and the second, from 1872, is a “Topographical map of Atlantic County, New Jersey.” Both show municipal boundaries, buildings and landholders’ names from those times.